On the “Heartland”…
- New Film, “Homeplace Under Fire,” Profiles Unlikely Heroes of the 1980s Farm Crisis (Ecocentric, 5.18.2017)
- Long-Delayed Rules to Protect Small Farmers Might be Too Little Too Late (Civil Eats, 1.11.17)
- Want to Understand Trump’s Rise? Head to the Farm (Civil Eats, 10.27.16)
- Making Change in the Heartland (WhyHunger CONNECT blog, 4.24.15)
- A Greener Soylent (“The Mail” letters section, The New Yorker, 6.23.14)
- How Congress Is Moving to Crush Protections for Small Meat and Poultry Producers (And Why You Should Care) (Civil Eats, 6.11.14)
- United We Eat (Civil Eats, 3.30.11)
On small farmers…
- In the Field with Farmer Ben Burkett (Ecocentric, 4.24.17)
- At the End of the 3 Line, East New York Farms! Grows (Edible Brooklyn, Summer 2016)
- A Tree Grows in Gaza (Modern Farmer, 12.5.14)
- Strengthening the food chain: Farmers and workers unite, find power in numbers (Grist, 5.30.13)
- Why the food movement should occupy Wall Street (Grist, 10.18.11)
Books, reports, and other media
Author, A Path Forward: Innovations at the Intersection of Hunger and Health. WhyHunger, 2015.
Co-author, with Michele Simon, Enough to Eat: Food Assistance and the Farm Bill. Institute of Agriculture and Trade Policy, 2012.
Producer, The Food and Climate Connection. Short film directed by Sara Grady, 2010.
Editor, Green Roofs: Ecological Design and Construction. Schiffer Press, 2007.